The New Glasgow Veterinary Clinic was originally opened by Dr. Allan MacKay in 1941. Dr. Allan was always an active supporter of farm organizations and agricultural exhibits and in 1992 he was inducted into the Atlantic Agriculture Hall of Fame. Dr. Bruce Robb took over the clinic in 1988 and Dr. MacKay retired the following year. In 2005, Dr. Robb designed the spacious clinic that exists today with the help of his son and by studying architectural plans of veterinary clinics he bought from the US.
The clinic has expanded in staff numbers over the years but is still a spacious facility. Dr. Robb retired in 2021 and the practice is now managed by Dr. Dawn Daling along with associates Dr. Megan Baird and Dr. Jaimie Linthorne. The practice meets the needs of small animal owners as well as equine owners in the area.
The Pictou Veterinary Clinic began in 2000 in a very casual way. Dr. Bruce Robb bought the "old RCMP building," renovated it, equipped it and then came here to do paperwork away from the hustle and bustle of the New Glasgow Veterinary Clinic. He soon was "discovered" and found himself doing appointments along with the paperwork. A full-time receptionist (Wendy) was hired to answer the phone, batch book appointments and sell some food. Finally, in the fall of 2007, he decided there was too much demand in Pictou for this casual approach and he placed Dr. Brenda Spence-MacLeod at the PVC in a permanent, part-time position. Over the years the practice has grown from 2 very quiet days a week for 2 staff members, to 4 very busy days for 4 1/2 staff members.
We still depend on our parent, the New Glasgow Vet Clinic for support in some services, but we hope and plan to continue our pattern of growth and service to this community.